Prophunt Tournament

WhySoSeriousGaming

Prophunt Tournament

Post by WhySoSeriousGaming »

I think this would be a great idea, I've already got a load of old pro's interested and (depending on the team sizes) a team sorted. I am confident that we will get a good turnout (at the very least 6+ teams). Obviously there is the issue of time differences, work, families so we're going to have to figure out a convenient time for everyone.

Some things we need to decide on are:
.Team sizes
.How we will decide on the maps
.Prizes (to get people interested)
.Time / date (I'm thinking an upcoming holiday would work for most)
.(If) any disallowed strategies or items

I am confident that it will be a success and that it will revive the server.

Thanks for you time, Khalin
sambawarkiddo
Veteran

Re: Prophunt Tournament

Post by sambawarkiddo »

I've seen tryhards on prophunt. I've never seen a bigger buzzkill to such a joke of a gamemode as the concept of competitive prophunt.
I can see competitive prophunt working as well as competitive deathrun.
Fire wrote:You're a admin?
Abraham
Veteran

Post by Abraham »

I have to go with Samba here, the mod was never meant to be competitive, a group of players who consider them selves the "elite" of prophunt made it competitive for them selves. There is loads of things you need to consider when it comes to even trying to set up a prophunt tournament, few of them being > On what settings do we play on? Every server has settings that differ from others in some way, disc has buffed degreaser+axtinguisher combo, prophunt pond or what ever the hell its called now has only melee for last prop, GM has a bunch of ridiculous differences when compared to both these servers.

I seriously hope people realize that this idea is doomed from the beginning, there has been people trying to start up a competitive league for prophunt and just like that idea crashed before it got off the ground, so will this.
ImageImageImage
Dongle
Forum Mod

Post by Dongle »

I'm down for competitive Death Run

I don't even play PH and I can tell you that it would be a bad idea. Like Samba and Abraham said, there's a LOT to consider if you wanted to make it strictly competitive, plus most people I know go there to have fun, not to take it seriously. It may help increase the activity a little bit for a small while but it'll go back to being dead right after the tournament is over.
Last edited by Dongle on Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Bench

Post by Bench »

My suggestions for this would be to have a 6v6 and replace propmenu for propreroll. Also nerf the scorch shot and base jumper. These are only for the tournament, not the gamemode on the server.
Last edited by Bench on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steam
Tickle: Hello, I'm tickle, & I'm a pedophile
Bench: (immediately & excited) I'm underage
Abraham
Veteran

Post by Abraham »

Bench wrote:Also nerf the scorch shot and base jumper.
Id assume people who would actually be interested in taking part to the tournament are old class tryhards, which would make it absolutely useless to nerf either since there is not one player who would replace shotgun/flaregun to the scorch shot and even less of a chance for someone to use basejumper unless going stickyjumping demo which I still see nearly impossible.
Last edited by Abraham on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
WhySoSeriousGaming

Post by WhySoSeriousGaming »

There is no downside to a little tournament. Just because prophunt was initially not intended to be played competitively, a large chunk of the prophunt community wants to play it competitively. A video game is about the community and how the community wants to play it, I don't understand what the problem is. Anyway, tournament = practice, practice = people joining the server. Even if that was all we got out of it, isn't that worth it?
Abraham
Veteran

Post by Abraham »

If you feel like hosting a tournament, feel free to put in the work and effort. I cant see it working in any possible way. I'd say you'll have to do this on your expense if you want any sort of price etc included.
ImageImageImage
sambawarkiddo
Veteran

Post by sambawarkiddo »

WhySoSeriousGaming wrote:a large chunk of the prophunt community wants to play it competitively.
So like ten people, then? I can only think of a very small cluster of people interested in a competitive prophunt, and it would only be enjoyable to that very small faction. The very broad, and vast majority of people I know that play prophunt are in no way, shape or form interested in playing such a silly gamemode competitively.
Everyone already knows how easily a singular tryhard can kill the good vibe of the server.

I don't think a competitive mode would bring new players in. The top players would dominate every time, and new players would simply be deterred from the idea of prophunt after being brutally fucked up the ass.

As Abraham said, if you're genuinely interested and determined to make it happen, it wouldn't hurt to set up a private server for it.
However, be warned. I've set up my own private Prophunt server before (lmao what a flop that was), and there is a LOT that has to be done before the gamemode can even be considered slightly playable, not even including patching when Valve decide to release another shitty hat update.
I agree with saying try it on a private server of your own, as I would loathe to see anything like this change our Prophunt server. I seriously feel it would just kill off what little traffic it still gets.

Sorry to slam it down on you, but it seriously doesn't seem like a good idea in the slightest.
Last edited by sambawarkiddo on Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fire wrote:You're a admin?
Satan
Veteran

Post by Satan »

sambawarkiddo wrote: So like ten people, then?
Thats enough for a tourney, most competitive way to play the game would be no /propmenu, a familiar and popular map pool, and a pre-determined scoring ruleset.

Since this is a disc player creating the idea, I assume you'd want the disc settings which should just be a simple convo with fire of "hey can I do this tourney that would cost you no money and maybe get people to start playing our ph server due to a competitive aspect?" I'm sure plenty regulars would love to sign up if they were informed of the map pool and scoring system beforehand.

All in all, there's not really a downside if you have a server to host it on and permission to use disc's settings on it. However, adding a prize incentive to the winning team (I really have no idea what it would be) would be a great addition.
Last edited by Satan on Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rip mg