Dust2 Server

Cockazn

Dust2 Server

Post by Cockazn »

So I have been a frequent player on your 24/7 Dust2 server for about 2 months now and plan on sticking around for a while. However, I do have some complaints/suggestions that I'm sure you guys are well aware of. I'm sure everything that I'll say here has been voiced elsewhere by other people but instead of me posting on something short on everyone else's threads I figured I'd make one of my own with the majority of the thing's I see as "problems" to your server.

One of the main problems I have noticed and this is as of recent, but the server seems to get very laggy for no apparent reason. I think this is probably due to lack of maintenance? There are a few admins that I've seen on the server and I've heard them talk about how the server used to be and that they have noticed it's been running worse lately. I'm not sure if you guys have a person that maintains your servers regularly, but with the amount of traffic that Dust2 server gets it should be maintained daily. Should be shut down and had the logs wipe regularly. The server has enough people coming and going at all times of the day that if you shut it down for 15 minutes once a day for scheduled maintenance it wouldn't really affect how many people joined it. If anything it would improve your new player return rate. When new players join and they get "lerped" from behind a wall they tend to complain and not show back up. That can be easily fixed either one of two ways the server being properly worked on and them having their settings in the right place, and I would say the majority of people do have them where they need to be.

Other than the lack of maintenance I've seen on server I think the mods that are on the server also need to be updated and/or removed. I've also heard the admins that play there talk about how someone was looking into or fixing the IP blocker mod so that when a player tries to type numbers they actually show up in the text chat, or if they have numbers in their names they show up. I'm sure there is an updated mod that does that and if there isn't I don't think it's that big of a deal to not have the mod at all. Not often do people join a server just to spam the IP of theirs. If they do that's what voteban and admins are for. It gets a little annoying trying to type mac10, p90, m429, n1 and numerous other things in chat and it not showing up, or having to retype those things with spaces between the letters and numbers. I can only imagine what the players that frequent the server feel like when their gamer tags don't show up because they have a number in it.

Also the anti-team flash mod is somewhat of a joke. I would say realistically it works 40% of the time which is terrible. At that rate you are better off without it. The mod is buggy. When you are next to an enemy and your team throws a flash it flashes both of you because the enemy sees it so you see it is how I'm assuming it works. When you are alone and your team throws a flash the mod prevents the blindness (40% of the time). When you throw a flash directly at an enemy and no teammate of yours is near them the most often blocks the blindness thinking it was a team flash. I don't make mods but I do know that this mod is extremely buggy.

As for now that's all I have to suggest. The main thing being the server maintenance. Without a server being properly taken care of on a daily basis it starts to go down the drain quickly.
Last edited by Cockazn on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cockazn

Re: Dust2 Server

Post by Cockazn »

Of course I think of something else as soon as I post. This isn't a huge thing but it helps keep the majority of regular players happy and makes them complain a lot less, but the server should have a ping cap. As far as I can tell it doesn't have one. I've seen people in there with 500+ which is pretty much outrageous. I suggest something more along the lines of 150-200 as a cap. Not that I have anything against foreign players, but when a guy has 400 ping and is warping around the map and no one can shoot him, then there's a problem.
Last edited by Cockazn on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DutchKitty
Veteran

Post by DutchKitty »

Pretty sure on all of our servers it kicks you at 300
Last edited by DutchKitty on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
zAnt

Post by zAnt »

Listen to this man, he knows what he is talking about, and I agree with him 100%.

And no, it doesn't kick you for your ping on the Dust2 server.
Last edited by zAnt on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cockazn

Post by Cockazn »

I appreciate the support zant!

Also the D2 doesn't have a 300 kick limit and as that is high for a kick limit even that would be nice because often times there are guys with 300+ in there warping around.
Last edited by Cockazn on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fire
Owner

Post by Fire »

I have cleaned the server of unwanted logs and download files. I have removed Ad Filter/Anti Team Flash. Also removed Anti Wall Hack that might have been using up a lot of CPU. Added 200+ Ping Kicker. Also, recently there has been issues with my server host. Their Chicago servers have been getting hit with a very large DDoS attack. The attack isn't directed at us but it is large enough to cause lag on our end. The are working as best they can to fix this issue.
Last edited by Fire on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
insignia

Post by insignia »

Lol since we're tossing ideas around; I'd like to repost my previous suggestion to lower the start money and turn off all talk.
Last edited by insignia on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Loon3yToOns

Post by Loon3yToOns »

but money and all talk is what makes the server a pub and its a fun pub that way. i think most people play on it because of those 2 reasons ( as well as others of course)