The X10 Server (Spawncamping, Items, etc.)

Star

The X10 Server (Spawncamping, Items, etc.)

Post by Star »

I've rarely ever taken up my time to write a complaint related to this server, except for the ping that started spiking a couple of years ago, but that's all well and good. But, spawncamping has been a problem for a long time on the Mario Kart x10 server and I wish there was at least something done to give new people the chance to experience the game. How bad is it? Well, as long as you know what a heavy and a medic is, you can ram a medigun up the heavy's ass and hope he has the Natascha equipped.

For once, this server actually hit 28 or so players, which was quite a sight, as the last time this had happened was last winter break, where it hit 32 players.
That is a lot of people for a server that seems to have lost its ways. It wasn't long though before the red team started to piss themselves and leave, causing a huge hole in their team.
Now what could possibly be spawncamping the entire red team? Simple. A Natascha heavy and a bunch of medics with their mediguns...where?
You guessed it, right up his butt.

There was a previous post by a player named "Widowmaker," although he goes by many different aliases. Examples are Crusty Body Pillow, Jose.Gonzalez.2005, and "Somebody." Now I never liked how he played because he abused the machina, natascha, the quickie, and suicided whenever somebody was in a good position to kill him. But, he brings up a very good point in his post, here.

He notes that the rule that was set in place to prevent spawncamping (the one that no longer exists) relies on admins to be on the server to enforce it. When the admins are on the server, all well and good, when they are not, it is a tough time for some of the players on the server.

The people that were affected by spawncamping NEVER knew how to use the !report command, it was a rare sight to see. Even if they did somehow manage to find that the command even exists, most of the time and admin would come on the server, tell the spawncamper what they did was bad (if they didn't happen to stop spawncamping as soon as the admin came on), the admin leaves, and the player goes back to spawncamping.

People that choose to be annoying tend to open up their team's spawndoor when they are being spawncamped and sit there as the enemy team kills multiple players except them. In my opinion, people that do this need some sort of punishment, but whatever. Eventually, the spawncamping gets boring, but the team knows what weapon is the best weapon in the game, the Natascha, so it tells new players, "hey, this is the weapon of your greatest desires," and this happens:

What the player, Widowmaker, brings up is a solid solution to the problem of spawncamping. The solution being a couple of seconds of godmode when the player spawns. This would allow the person being spawncamped to at least be able to walk out of spawn and manage a fight against the spawncamper, instead of being run down with bullets every time they spawn. Offering the team godmode for a couple of seconds is common on many other different servers, for example, many x10, x100, All Crits, etc. Cp_Orange servers have this and are still able to pull up a solid 20+ players any hour of the day (exaggeration, but you know what I mean).

It would also change the look of the battlefield, instead of the main parts of the map where people get killed is their spawn, it would actually be other parts of the map which are normally left empty.

Common arguments against better spawncamping rules/mechanics are:
1. The players have a bunch of items at their disposal. Why don't they just airblast us from their spawn, form up a heavy/medic combo as well, or backstab us?

A: I apologize, but unless someone plays on this server frequently, they will not know how to fight the spawncampers immediately. There is never team coordination from a bunch of new people that have never met each other before. Rarely ever do I see a pyro try to airblast heavies back and even if they do manage to open the door, the slowness the Natascha causes the player to become immobilized, and due to the damage it inflicts on the player they die. The same goes for spies.

2. Why don't they just spawn somewhere else, like the green room, or the catbus and find an angle to kill us?

A: The most common question I ever see on the server is "How do I get out of the water box?" Not a single new player knows that the spawns go in a circle and that you can switch classes to get to a different spawn. Nor do they know that you can press the button in the water box to kill themselves (why does it exist?????) and spawn back in the regular spawn. New players do not know all the ways to keep themselves alive on the server as regulars do.

I hope that someone can at least consider my proposal of leveling out the spawncamping problem by either offering the godmode option or making the spawncamp rule exist, though I know admins would be reluctant to enforce it as much as globals were when there were no admins on the server for a while. It's not always a problem, but its a consistent one, for at least the last 3 years.

If it doesn't work out, then it doesn't, but it was worth a try.
YeetMcMeat

Re: The X10 Server (Spawncamping, Items, etc.)

Post by YeetMcMeat »

I completely agree with Star, When the rule was in place It allowed everyone to enjoy the server but now its very one sided when there is spawn camping happening.
deadmemescentral
Server Admin

Post by deadmemescentral »

I agree with Star 100% on this topic. Many a time have I seen a whole team basically be unable to play due to 1 heavy killing at spawn and everyone else starts joining in on it.

It used to be a nice rule that was taken off due to....reasons? (there are rumors but not actually confirmed)

I get it's hard to enforce to an extent but when it can cause a whole team of players (both new and old) to up and find somewhere else to play. Well, I don't think I need to explain why that's not a good thing.

I would like to see something put in to help remedy this problem, at least a little bit

Mindacos
Veteran

Post by Mindacos »

Figured I'd put my 2 cents here since this is the first thread I see after not being here for a while, so why not.
As a former admin and veteran, I can confirm that this has been an issue since the very inception of the server. The natascha + medic combo has always been notorious for being stupidly easy to spawncamp with, and shamefully I'm guilty of having done it myself at times.

I wholeheartedly agree to the idea of giving temporary godmode on spawn. Any incentive to keep the map fun throughout the entire map and not just a small section is always good. I would personally give 5 seconds of godmode time, as that's enough time for someone that's a "beginner" to be able to do something against the spawncampers, or at the very least escape with a rocket jump/sticky jump.
Fire
Owner

Post by Fire »

Added Spawn Protection Plugin - When you spawn you will be given 5 seconds of Uber. If you attack during that time you will lose your Uber.
ImageImage