[Suggestion] PH Base Jumper

sambawarkiddo
Veteran

[Suggestion] PH Base Jumper

Post by sambawarkiddo »

so left and right I hear of complaints against the Base Jumper on PropHunt.
Often times, the complaints follow up with the request to have the Base Jumper completely removed.

However, I don't think that's much of a viable solution, since I know plenty of people use it; some of which are dependent on it to successfully rocket jump.

Having said that, as much as the Base Jumper doesn't really bother me personally, as I used to use it, perhaps it might be possible to nerf it.
To iterate, everyone knows the Market Gardener is a PH soldier's staple. Combined with the Base Jumper, it can become a little chaotic, despite the speed slowdown effect of the Base Jumper.
My proposition is to have crits removed from the Market Gardener when the Base Jumper is Deployed.

If this is something that can be done, I'd be interested in seeing if that works.
Either way, I'm interested in hearing opinions on the matter.
Fire wrote:You're a admin?
Abraham
Veteran

Re: [Suggestion] PH Base Jumper

Post by Abraham »

Id be more than glad to see this. Would also help with the situations where it seems like a soldier with high ping and a basejumper is 15feets away and still kills you, would still be bullshit but atleast people wouldnt rage about it as much as theyve been doing for ages.
ImageImageImage
Chikiro
Veteran

Post by Chikiro »

+1 to this suggestion, if it's possible to do at all. I know I'm definitely one of the ones to complain sometimes about the "15 feet away" bit, it gets frustrating too because even if you "hear" them you can't really appropriately judge the distance.

I will always disagree with an outright ban for the parachute, but this is a nice medium to the problem imo
Are you from Tennessee? Because you're the only ten I see. ;D
Cam

Post by Cam »

I brought this up to stern the other day. I agree with both chiki and abra. It is very difficult to judge the distance they are away from you with just sound, and 150 ping market gardener is not something that you want to die to. My problem is that if your running, they could just press space and keep up with you. I just feel like its providing too much help and teaching to sollies to be lazy. With it they don't need to know how to strafe or do any rocket jumping basics. Samba I like your idea to just use it as a means to stopping fall damage and getting around because even if you get hit you can still survive.
Powerlord

Post by Powerlord »

sambawarkiddo wrote:My proposition is to have crits removed from the Market Gardener when the Base Jumper is Deployed.

If this is something that can be done, I'd be interested in seeing if that works.
Can it be done? Probably. A new plugin would have to be written to do it, though, as PropHunt itself can only modify an item's attributes.

As long as we're on the subject of weapon changes, what do people here think of allowing the Sticky Jumper?
Last edited by Powerlord on Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abraham
Veteran

Post by Abraham »

Powerlord wrote:
sambawarkiddo wrote:My proposition is to have crits removed from the Market Gardener when the Base Jumper is Deployed.

Can it be done? Probably. A new plugin would have to be written to do it, though, as PropHunt itself can only modify an item's attributes.

As long as we're on the subject of weapon changes, what do people here think of allowing the Sticky Jumper?
Its no issue imo since the demoman has no weapons that hit a 100% crit while jumping. Sure its annoying to get chased by a flying black man but ive never heard anyone complaining about it being too overpowered.
Last edited by Abraham on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
sambawarkiddo
Veteran

Post by sambawarkiddo »

Powerlord wrote:

I've never had problems with Flying Demos. They don't have a weapon capable of crits in mid-air, so that's not really too much of an issue.
Last edited by sambawarkiddo on Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chikiro
Veteran

Post by Chikiro »

Powerlord wrote:

I also do not have a problem with Sticky Jumper at all. There is absolutely no crit advantage to be had, so there isn't a problem.
Last edited by Chikiro on Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are you from Tennessee? Because you're the only ten I see. ;D
sambawarkiddo
Veteran

Post by sambawarkiddo »

My question for you Powerlord, actually, is that would writing this new plugin or addition be too difficult or time-consuming to do?
Abraham
Veteran

Post by Abraham »

Any news on this suggestion? Would be a thrill to see it happen.
ImageImageImage