Prop Hunt Maps

PembrokeWelshCorgi
Veteran

Re: Prop Hunt Maps

Post by PembrokeWelshCorgi »

I saw 22 people on Clocktown earlier today (I was not playing, I was busy). It had a handful of regulars and semi-regulars. Today is a national holiday in America, but I can still say that it depends on the day/time/crowd. I'll keep a closer eye on the map and how it affects player count before making a final opinion.

I do agree with Abraham though. He brings up some good points about the maps flaws.
Last edited by PembrokeWelshCorgi on Mon May 29, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the not too distant future, next Sunday A.D....
Marshii

Post by Marshii »

First off, I agree with everything Abra has said. The map has always been divisive and the propmenu is flawed, greatly, because of those really strange tiny props that are:
1) Tiny
2) Horrible contrast with the already distracting textures
3) Only there for 'wacky spots' a-la haypile in maps where it doesn't even belong and is only there to enable a few high spots.

It should go, or be seriously reworked. While it's a nice nostalgia trip for those who adored the game, it's more a map with secrets for the sake of secrets that really don't add anything to the game.
KangarooHitler wrote:I can cover the whole map in one round, where I'd never be able to do that on 007skyrail for example.
Saw this and just got to say, no matter your rank or time, if you can't clear Skyrail by yourself, then you simply are not as good and experienced at prophunt as you claim to be. I extensively tested the map size alongside other older now ex-prophunt pro players who you wouldn't even know. The map size is comparable to others like Spookyharvest for example.
Spend time with the map, learn it, and you'll find you can easily clear skyrail in even 5v5/6v6 servers. By spending time with maps you can find 'optimum' paths around for more efficient hunting, and you'll also know where props are more likely to hide.
Last edited by Marshii on Tue May 30, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KangarooHitler

Post by KangarooHitler »

Marshii wrote:First off, I agree with everything Abra has said. The map has always been divisive and the propmenu is flawed, greatly, because of those really strange tiny props that are:
1) Tiny
2) Horrible contrast with the already distracting textures
3) Only there for 'wacky spots' a-la haypile in maps where it doesn't even belong and is only there to enable a few high spots.
As I've said before, all those criticisms apply to buckets and TVs.
KangarooHitler wrote:I can cover the whole map in one round, where I'd never be able to do that on 007skyrail for example.
Saw this and just got to say, no matter your rank or time, if you can't clear Skyrail by yourself, then you simply are not as good and experienced at prophunt as you claim to be.
I never claimed to be "good". As for experience, I've had exactly 2 chances to play this map in my time on the server.
I extensively tested the map size alongside other older now ex-prophunt pro players who you wouldn't even know. The map size is comparable to others like Spookyharvest for example.
If that's true, you're probably among the best players of 007skyrail. No one votes for it, so it's hard to get better at. And even if it is the size of Spookyharvest (which I sincerely doubt), the main difference between them is that Spookyharvest doesn't have a massive open area for scouts to run around in, or 2 massive buildings with huge prop sightlines, or high-up moving platforms that are annoying but necessary to check. But we're getting off topic.
Spend time with the map, learn it, and you'll find you can easily clear skyrail in even 5v5/6v6 servers. By spending time with maps you can find 'optimum' paths around for more efficient hunting, and you'll also know where props are more likely to hide.
Do that with Clocktown.
Last edited by KangarooHitler on Wed May 31, 2017 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler
PembrokeWelshCorgi
Veteran

My opinion is starting to shift towards keeping Clocktown, but I do think we need to remove the flower and jumping frog props at the very least. It should only be a small tweak to the map file.
Marshii

Post by Marshii »

KangarooHitler wrote: As I've said before, all those criticisms apply to buckets and TVs.
Indeed they do, but that doesn't make it any less of a criticism. I dislike how a lot of new maps have had the haypile and bucket added into propmenu simply out of addiction of using them.
KangarooHitler wrote:As for experience, I've had exactly 2 chances to play this map in my time on the server.
[...]
Do that with Clocktown.
My point exactly. That's not even 20 rounds per team (or there abouts approximately). I have played clocktown a fair few times, and will agree that yes my point applies to myself when playing Clocktown, however during my time playing it, I found it a very difficult map to enjoy based on the textures and prop contrast.
KangarooHitler wrote:If that's true, you're probably among the best players of 007skyrail.
[...]
The main difference between them is that Spookyharvest doesn't have a massive open area for scouts to run around in, or 2 massive buildings with huge prop sightlines, or high-up moving platforms that are annoying but necessary to check.
Well, I did make the map (hence why I'm defending it, haha)
[...]
Yes SH doesn't have that, but at the same time Skyrail has that taken into account whereby if you get found and caught on fire, it should be a bit more challenging to shake your pursuers based on those sight-lines for hunters. Skyrail requires a little skill, which you only get by playing on the map and knowing the routes and nifty little escape paths. For example I bet no-one really thought about running up the mounds, jumping on the tree top and back onto the building?

It should be noted that Clocktown is not an inherently bad map, but I feel as though the prop placement, propmenu choices and secrets are damaging the map's play-ability and compatibility with the game-mode. Equally, I feel the textures quite punishing with those prop choices and having bad eyesight etc myself, it really stifles any enjoyment I could have with the map, and has resulted in my trying to avoid it. This view probably is not unique to myself.
Last edited by Marshii on Wed May 31, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
PembrokeWelshCorgi
Veteran

Marshii wrote:It should be noted that Clocktown is not an inherently bad map, but I feel as though the prop placement, propmenu choices and secrets are damaging the map's play-ability and compatibility with the game-mode. Equally, I feel the textures quite punishing with those prop choices and having bad eyesight etc myself, it really stifles any enjoyment I could have with the map, and has resulted in my trying to avoid it. This view probably is not unique to myself.
Pretty much this.

I would always skip Clocktown because I dislike it, but now that I've been sticking around to observe the results, it does slowly attract people when the server is low on players, and keeps an average amount of players on the server. I don't think Samba would want to bother fixing it now, but it would be nice if we could at least have someone touch it up a bit. Regardless, I think it should stay.
Last edited by PembrokeWelshCorgi on Wed May 31, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian225

Post by Ian225 »

We played the map yesterday and it did bring in some people. Though I personally don't like it, most people didn't really care if was removed. From discussion during playing at that time, an idea was that if we did remove clocktown, we should bring back an old map which was better. All of us playing then thought bringing back Stormy Feud was a pretty good idea, given it was a fairly decent map that no one really had a problem with. Unlike farm feud, it actually had some places to hide in.
But my vote probably gonna be neutral.
PembrokeWelshCorgi
Veteran

If were to bring Stormy Feud back, we'd need to disable the music, as there are 4 - 5 buttons and they get spammed very easily.
Jasmine
Veteran

Post by Jasmine »

I still think the map should be removed. The cons doesn't outweigh the pro''s in my opinion.
Bring back am older map, sure. But most of the time it's a reason as to why they were removed in the first place
Much love
Jasmine
Marshii

Post by Marshii »

Stormy Feud doesn't really get around the issues of FarmFeud. Indeed it added other issues; were FF has polish, SF was lacking and felt more like a slap-dash cluttered expansion, rather than anything else.