Murder Server

Soup
Veteran

Re: Murder Server

Post by Soup »

Mitch, I want to say thank you for all the work you have put into the murder server. We are all having so much fun. I really appreciate the unique details that you have implemented. Again, thank you!
Lanliss

Post by Lanliss »

I have a possible suggestion for the Murder Server. I bounced it off idjit, but figured I would also mention it here to see what you thought.

Would it be possible to kill the person shooting an innocent, instead of the innocent? It just feels really shitty to get knocked out of the game because of someone elses mistake.
PembrokeWelshCorgi
Veteran

Post by PembrokeWelshCorgi »

Lanliss wrote:I have a possible suggestion for the Murder Server. I bounced it off idjit, but figured I would also mention it here to see what you thought.

Would it be possible to kill the person shooting an innocent, instead of the innocent? It just feels really shitty to get knocked out of the game because of someone elses mistake.
At the very least, it says in chat whom and when they kill an innocent bystander. If it becomes a repeated habit, admins should be able to tell just by looking at the chat history if they need to punish someone for it. But that's if and when the server goes live and we actually have admins playing.
Last edited by PembrokeWelshCorgi on Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the not too distant future, next Sunday A.D....
Mitch
Server Admin

Post by Mitch »

Lanliss wrote:I have a possible suggestion for the Murder Server. I bounced it off idjit, but figured I would also mention it here to see what you thought.

I just don't want to have players shooting other players just to quickly find the murderer, i doubt it would happen but you can prove who the murderer is by him not being able to pickup a revolver. I'm able to monitor how many times a player kills an innocent bystander. There's just no way of knowing if it was justified or not. It could have been a stray shot that hit you, or evidence that made you look like the murderer.
This is definitely something the rules will need to cover, as there's a ton of things that can confuse players. There are certain fail-safes put in place to punish players that kill innocent players that I don't want to go into too much detail (people can reverse-engineer the karma system to predict who will get special roles) but in summary if you kill a bystander you forfeit your enhanced chances of becoming a special role in the future rounds, and lower your base chances of becoming the special roles.
Last edited by Mitch on Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soup
Veteran

Post by Soup »

There is a way to find out if someone is the murderer by getting everyone to do voice commands. The murderer can't do the ones that show up in chat like Incoming! or Spy!. People can deduce who the murderer is if they can get the other players to do this.
Mitch
Server Admin

Post by Mitch »

Soup wrote:There is a way to find out if someone is the murderer by getting everyone to do voice commands. The murderer can't do the ones that show up in chat like Incoming! or Spy!. People can deduce who the murderer is if they can get the other players to do this.
Yes, this was something I was going to block anyways because of the spam, now I have a reason to block them.
edit: fixed
Last edited by Mitch on Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mitch
Server Admin

Post by Mitch »

We plan on doing some kind of 'opening' later today, here is a list of changes that were introduced yesterday: (this will be updated)
  • Throwable knife for the murderer. Just like in the Gmod gamemode, however you will need to hold R to charge etc.
  • Pickup distance for pressing E on the revolver is fixed to 200 units or less
  • Ability to pickup knife after being throw by pressing E on it. (or what ever 'voicemenu 0 0' is bound to).
  • Last standing Bystander, a glow will appear on the last bystander, to avoid long games because they are hiding.
  • Murderers will glow to each other, to easily determine who each of them are.
  • Karma loading fixes, sometimes players would join and have the wrong karma loaded.
  • Cleaned up chat, instead of having "*DEAD*" next to a player's name in chat their color will be slate gray.
  • Added a few maps, cp_dustbowl & cp_gorge_event (dustbowl is a bit small and open).
  • Removed the item found text
  • Fixed displaying the correct messages when time runs out. (Who was the murderer and how many did they kill.
  • Fixed the inspect glitch, now you will only see the weapon they have out if you inspect a player.
  • Fixed skins showing as blue on round start
  • Disabled hitting a dropped weapon with another weapon (usually hitting the gun with the knife into unreachable places)
  • Fixed having the knife model show on the murderer's sapper
  • Improved karma system selection, players with higher karma get a better chance of being a special role.
I was going to do the disguise kit however as it stands it's a dead give away if you use the kit.
Last edited by Mitch on Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PembrokeWelshCorgi
Veteran

I've noticed a few admins (and non-admins) from other servers are breaking various rules on murder (micspam, talking over people, being rude and obnoxious). Will admins be selected before or after the open beta? It's becoming very annoying, and I've seen users leave because of it.
Mitch
Server Admin

Post by Mitch »

I have no real say in who becomes admin, however I've taken some precautions for now and removed funcommands and other plugins and commands that aren't needed. I'd rather not have the server that's still trying to gain traction against the other murder servers have admins that use all the commands because they can. I will be adding more safety measures against RDM kills, where an innocent bystander kills another bystander. I'm not saying that we don't need admins now, however more precautions I add for RDM and the Karma system the more training an admin will have to do, I plan on making it easier with commands however I've been focusing on gameplay over the admin commands. I also plan on adding in stats and game tracking, especially for innocent kills, since people seem to forget that the server does not simply forget that you killed 3 people the night before.

As for maps, the murder plugin is now functional in Arena Mode and CP modes, so if you have maps that would be good for murder (open and enough for at least 30 player spawns) then you should post them here (preferably with links to make it easier!).

Also there's some kind of tf2 glitch that i'm unaware what the cause is from but it makes the glows not appear (used for fellow murderer and last bystander), here is a workaround fix if you don't see the glows, if you want to know if you have this glitch you should also see red glows while spectating.
fix:

Code: Select all

glow_outline_effect_enable 0;glow_outline_effect_enable 1;
in console
Last edited by Mitch on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
PembrokeWelshCorgi
Veteran

We may not need admins as much as we need a way to prevent the server from being so noisy. Everyone talks over each other. It becomes very frustrating.