Admin Complaint - Idjit

WhiteLightning

Admin Complaint - Idjit

Post by WhiteLightning »

This isn't a report on a rulebreaker per say, so I decided to put it in the complaints section, but I will use the report format since it is relevant.
Your in-game name: WhiteLightning
Your in-game Steam Community Link: http://steamcommunity.com/id/whitelightning50

Rulebreaker's Steam Community Link: Idjit - http://steamcommunity.com/id/SlangForIdiot
Server on which the rulebreaking occured: Dodgeball

Witnesses: Mexmic, Jay'sCoal, Dave, Louie, Foxire

Instead of proof, let me just explain what happened. Last night a player came on and was being extremely obnoxious on the mic, and after a while called another player (Jay, I believe) a "faggot," after Jay had asked him a question. And then he said it again a few minutes later. So after that Jay filed a report using the "!report" command. Soon after that Idjit joined the game, clearly responding to the report. He asked the player in question if it was true and of course he denied it, and seeing as there was no recording, there was no concrete proof. Meanwhile everyone else in the server is still talking on mic just like we had been. All of a sudden Idjit, who had seemed calm and collected before, just started flipping on everyone. He had apparently come to the conclusion that everyone was calling each other "faggots" and we reported the player as some kind of joke. He said that "this is a part of the dodgeball community" and that "we do this all the time." He specifically named Jay and myself as doing this frequently and that if it continues he's just going to ban us.

So first of all, the person who makes the report is not obligated to take a recording. It's also kind of difficult when what you want to record is one sentence long. On the flip side, the admin doesn't have to take their word for it, even if everyone in the server is in agreement, although that seems like the logical thing. But to come up with your own story for what happened, when no one said or even suggested that, is completely ridiculous. If you really thought that it was all a big joke to get you out of bed at 1 A.M. to deal with it, then don't come. Coming in and establishing your own idea of what happened with no evidence and then saying how it's not a legitimate report makes no sense. Maybe because we weren't silent while you asked him questions that made you think that? I might also add that not once did you ask us to be quiet, so if that was the issue then you never addressed that. Everyone on that server comes to have fun and not take things seriously. But that's no cause to think that any serious action taken is a complete joke. On top of that you said that this is a common occurrence, and named me as someone who takes part in this. I have never used the report system whatsoever and never been involved in a false report, so don't fling empty accusations at me to satisfy your anger or whatever that was.

I just wanted to put this all out there because I'm getting pretty sick of the administration on dodgeball as of late, as are most players. Also I know this will likely get locked without much discussion, but I thought I'd at least try.
Last edited by WhiteLightning on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
MoneyKidKing

Re: Admin Complaint - Idjit

Post by MoneyKidKing »

Even though this is not a report or ban dispute, it still belongs in this section. I have moved it for you.
Shia Suprise
Spoiler
Idjit
Veteran

Post by Idjit »

The player reported by Jay'sCoal claimed that you two were calling him a faggot as well. This was not a conclusion I jumped to, this was a conclusion I gathered from listening to the people on the server. You and Jay were continuing to echo one another, and this kid claimed you two were bothering him.

What really gets me here, White, is the fact that you two are perfectly fine with the word "Faggot". A large majority of the population on dodge ball, including yourself, throw banter back and forth continuously. You two have heard other people use the word and are perfectly fine with it. It was just this one instance where you and Jay had a real enough problem to file a report. That's what makes me lose my temper a bit, is the fact that Jay decided to file a report when he himself has said much worse to others. The kid may have called you a faggot out of anger, but in no way is that Harassment, especially since, like you said, he only did it once. It wouldn't be considered hate speech, either, as he was just calling you a name. In my eyes, you two purposefully over-reacted to this kids one small comment to try and get him punished in some way.

Edit:
Some chatlogs, just to show that you two do in fact not have an issue with homophobic slurs, or name-calling in general.
Last edited by Idjit on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fire wrote:Funny but don't post this stupid shit.
MrRocketBoots wrote:Completely understandable, I did overlook that. Apologies, Thanks for you time none the less.
WhiteLightning

Post by WhiteLightning »

I don't understand why you keep grouping me into this. It wasn't my idea to do a report, nor did I say anything to Jay about it. All I did was confirm what had happened to you while you were there. If you choose to to believe him over literally every other person on the server then I really don't know what you want from us. And as to it bothering me, no of course it didn't bother me. But neither does targeting, or teamkilling, or inappropriate sprays. But they are still rules nonetheless. And many times I have told an admin when one of these occurs. If someone is doing something against the rules, Jay is allowed to make a report towards them. I know you think that we were all saying it to each other as well based on what one person said, but he just acted dumb while you were there. You got played. But again, this was not my report. If Jay wasn't there, there would have been no report. But he still has the right to make one. Just because I confirm what happened doesn't mean I would have made the report myself or took any part in it. There was no master plan by everyone on the server to report him and then lie about what happened to get him in trouble. Jay just decided to report him. Then other people backed him up, and you believed none of it. I don't know whose chat logs those are, but they're not mine. And "cunt" is not a homophobic slur and can be said a long as it doesn't lead to continued harassment. The rules are not "tell an admin when someone upsets you, and if they aren't then don't." They are objective. And that means what we feel about the rule doesn't matter. The report was valid.
Last edited by WhiteLightning on Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
MoneyKidKing

Post by MoneyKidKing »

What I'm gathering from this situation about what happened, correct me if you see any mistakes.

First thing that happened was that Jay reported Wackedone for calling him a "faggot".

Second, Idjit comes on to handle the report. He witnesses both you and Jay berating him.

Third, Idjit warns you about harassing other users.
WhiteLightning wrote:I don't know whose chat logs those are, but they're not mine.
One of those is yours. It's a situation in which you specifically didn't want to talk to me about the tournament due to interactions we've had in the past. There is other chat logs from both you and Jay involving less than friendly banter, but that was the selection that was chosen.
Last edited by MoneyKidKing on Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shia Suprise
Spoiler
Idjit
Veteran

Post by Idjit »

I lumped you into this because you and Jay were the only ones on gunning to get this kid punished in some way. You're also the one continuing to draw this out on the forums. It would be strange NOT to address you. The primary issue that you brought up in your original post is that he's obnoxious, not that he was "harassing" players. It wasn't just him saying you guys were bothering him, and it wasn't the entirety of the server saying he called Jay a faggot. Once. So, not only were there multiple people stating that both sides were berrating one another, but by your definition, him calling Jay a faggot once is not "continued harassment" and genuinely should not be a problem. While the rules are objective, the definitions of said rules and the actual objectivity of them is what matters here. Harassment would be the continued berration of someone else, purposefully going out of your way to make their time on the server as miserable as possible through non-stop insults aimed at the victim. If this rule were changed to "any insult or banter will get you punished" I'd have permanently silenced 7/8ths the dodgeball server, including myself and other admins.

That is not the rule, however, and Jay still chose to make it into a problem and file a report on him for using the word faggot once to try and get him punished in some way. Another reason you're lumped into this is because you chose to push it ANOTHER step further by trying to say that it was harassment, and that this kid needed to be punished. You weren't just relaying facts, you were telling me to mute him. It's pretty clear that this is the situation at hand, White, and that both you and Jay are and were trying to bend the rules as far as they could be bent to get a kid you just didn't like muted. Calling someone a faggot once, even if he did do this, isn't continued harassment, and it isn't hate speech. As proven by those chat logs (which were just a small sample from BOTH of you) you're very familiar with the idea of banter. If you can't deal with this kids one insignificant statement, then either client side mute him or grow some thicker skin. That's the reason I said it was a false report, and I'll gladly stand by it. After all, he who lives in a glass house should not throw stones.
Fire wrote:Funny but don't post this stupid shit.
MrRocketBoots wrote:Completely understandable, I did overlook that. Apologies, Thanks for you time none the less.
WhiteLightning

Post by WhiteLightning »

And you continue to ignore parts of my posts to prove your point. He said it twice in a matter of minutes, and that was when the report was made. I didn't say that he had been harassing us. The only time I mentioned "continued harassment" was with the word cunt, a word that is by itself allowed on the server. The word faggot, however, IS considered hate speech and it not allowed. I've seen warnings dished out after calling someone that once. There is no certain number of times the word has to be said to consider it hate speech. And if the report wasn't made he probably would have continued to call people it, judging by the span of time it took him to say it twice. And even if there was a number of times it had to be said, it's always enforced as "don't direct that word towards people." So why would I think it would be any different in this case? As I said before, no it didn't bother me. But it doesn't matter. That is the definition of objective. Hell hackers almost never bother me. I enjoy trying to mess them up somehow. Does that mean that an admin should not be called because I'm not upset? If there is a rule and it is broken, you can't pin it on the person making that complaint because it doesn't, or you don't think it does, affect them in some way. And to my chat logs, the "Shut your mouth" line was to someone saying something nasty to my friend, which they stopped after I said that. And anything else was directed towards multiple people who I consider friends and in the context of the conversation was clearing a joke. There was no hate speech and no continued harassment. Were we being loud when you came into the server? Yeah. Did I say "mute him?" Sounds correct. Not once did you ask anyone to stop or be quiet while you were there. Only after you had decided that both parties were doing it did you get frustrated. There were several people agreeing with the report and the only person saying anything different was the player who the report was about. So I'm not sure what you were hearing.

It's no secret that neither of you like the community. I don't really like either of you. I made this post on the forums so maybe other people could add their input and so the rest of the community can see one of the problems that happen quite frequently on dodgeball, with admins making unjust calls and not taking even the slightest criticism of them. It is not an inherent law of videogames that admins and players have to butt heads with each other. When I started playing her I loved the admin team. Now hardly anyone does. You can't put that blame solely on the community.
SpicyCandy
Forum Mod

Post by SpicyCandy »

WhiteLightning wrote:It's no secret that neither of you like the community. I don't really like either of you. I made this post on the forums so maybe other people could add their input and so the rest of the community can see one of the problems that happen quite frequently on dodgeball, with admins making unjust calls and not taking even the slightest criticism of them.
Refrain from making unfounded accusations.

The word "faggot" as a general insult is allowed on our servers, as long as it is not used by an individual(s) to practice bigotry on others. However, in the aforementioned case, this would fall under the rule: "No Bigotry, harassment allowed". From what I've gathered, the reported in question did not practice any form of bigotry, only threw out random insults.

Report dismissed.